- 2 sheets (1 box) frozen puff pastry (preferably Pepperidge Farm), defrosted overnight in the refrigerator
- 1 extra-large egg
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup finely grated gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll out each sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured board until it's 10 by 12 inches.
- Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush the surface of the pastry.
- Sprinkle each sheet evenly with 1/4 cup of the parmesan, 1/2 cup of the gruyere, 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and some pepper.
- With the rolling pin, lightly press the flavorings into the puff pastry.
- Cut each sheet crosswise with a floured knife or pizza wheel into 11 or 12 strips.
- Twist each strip and lay on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned and puffed.
- Turn each straw and bake for another 2 minutes.
- Don't overbake or the cheese will burn.
- Cool and serve at room temperature.
- Let the puff pastry thaw in the refrigerator overnight.