- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 soft hoagie rolls, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces provolone cheese, shredded
- 1 pound shaved beef steak or roast beef
- 1/4 cup jarred sliced pepperoncini
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery seeds and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup flour, the Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce; cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and 2 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the bread cubes with 1 tablespoon olive oil on a baking sheet; season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until golden and crisp, about 7 minutes; set aside.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth.
- Return to the pot and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer 5 minutes.
- Toss the cheddar, provolone and the remaining 2 tablespoons flour in a bowl; slowly whisk the cheese mixture into the soup until melted.
- Return to the blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour back into the pot and bring to a low boil; remove from the heat.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the pepperoncini and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls; top with the beef, croutons and more parsley.