- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 15 ounce can red kidney beans, black beans, or red beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dried elbow macaroni (2 ounces)
- 4 ounce can diced green chile peppers, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- In a large skillet cook meat and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat.
- Stir in beans, undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, uncooked macaroni, chile peppers, chili powder, and garlic salt.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until macaroni is tender, stirring often.
- Remove skillet from heat; sprinkle mixture with cheese.
- Cover and let stand about 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Makes 6 servings