Creamy Shrimp and Mushroom Pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh shrimp (10 big shrimp or 20 small shrimp) without shells, deveined
- 3 garlic cloves
- dried basil
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- cooked pasta water
- 8 oz fettuccine pasta (for gluten free version, use Tinkyada gluten free brown rice pasta)
- Heat a large skillet until hot - add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and immediately add garlic and shrimp, cook on one side for about 1 minute until pink on one side, on medium-high heat.
- Flip the shrimp to the other side, sprinkle the top of cooked side of shrimp with dry basil, paprika, and salt, cook for another 1-2 minutes, occasionally stirring, until shrimp is pink on both sides.
- Remove the shrimp from skillet. If shrimp is a little undercooked - it's OK because you will continue cooking it in the sauce.
- To the same skillet add sliced mushrooms.
- Add more olive oil if necessary.
- Cook on high heat for about 2 minutes, occasionally stirring, until mushrooms become soft and release juices. Salt midway through cooking.
- To the skillet with mushrooms, add cooked shrimp.
- Immediately add 1 cup half and half and all of the cheese - bring to boil, then reduce to simmer, and cook, constantly stirring, until all cheese melts.
- Cover with lid and remove from heat.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Reserve some of pasta water.
- Drain and rinse pasta with cold water.
- Add pasta to the skillet with shrimp and mushrooms and cream sauce.
- Stir well, season with more salt and add more crushed red pepper flakes and basil, if desired.
- If the cream sauce is too thick and you want it creamier - add some pasta water in small amounts until you reach desired consistency.