Flourless Chocolate Torte
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter or margarine, cut into small pieces, plus more for the pan
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly butter the bottom and side of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Combine the chocolate and 1 1/2 sticks butter in a heatproof bowl.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (do not let the bowl touch the water) and stir until melted and combined.
- Remove the bowl from the saucepan and let cool slightly.
- Combine the eggs, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Beat with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and thick, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Gently fold half of the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture until just combined, then gently fold in the rest.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the top is no longer shiny and barely jiggles and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few crumbs, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer to a rack and let cool completely in the pan.
- Remove the springform ring and transfer to a platter; dust with cocoa powder.