Four-Cheese Pasta with Peas and Ham
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces penne
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 egg white
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (1 scant cup)
- 3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 3 ounces fontina cheese, grated (1 scant cup)
- 3 ounces deli ham, in 1 piece, diced
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook until very al dente, about 8 minutes, adding the peas in the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, egg white, evaporated milk and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- Drain the pasta and peas; wipe the pot dry and return the pasta and peas to the pot.
- Add the butter and stir to coat.
- Add the cheddar, mozzarella, fontina and the egg mixture.
- Place the pot over medium-low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 8 to 10 minutes, adding the ham halfway through cooking (don't let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble).
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the parmesan.