- Kosher salt
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles, broken into pieces (about 10 noodles)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 -ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, plus thinly sliced leaves for topping
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (plus more for sprinkling, optional)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- Ricotta cheese, for topping
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the noodles and cook as the label directs.
- Drain; drizzle with olive oil and toss.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the sausage, garlic and oregano and cook, stirring and breaking up the sausage with a wooden spoon, until the sausage is browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until darkened, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes and 1 cup water; cover and bring to a simmer.
- Uncover and cook until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the noodles, basil, parmesan and heavy cream; simmer 2 more minutes.
- Divide the soup among bowls.
- Top with ricotta and sliced basil.