- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces tricolor fusilli
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or basil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook as the label directs, adding the broccoli, carrots, bell pepper and peas during the last 3 minutes of cooking.
- Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta and vegetables and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until it begins to soften, about 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; bring to a simmer and cook until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter until melted and the sauce is thickened, about 1 more minute.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and vegetables and add the cheese, parsley and lemon juice.
- Cook over low heat, stirring, until the cheese melts, about 1 minute, adding enough of the reserved pasta water to loosen the sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper and top with more cheese.