Pasta With Turkey Meatballs
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces orecchiette pasta
- 2 bunches broccolini, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 large egg
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated ricotta salata or parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook as the label directs, adding the broccolini during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta and broccolini.
- Meanwhile, roll the sausage meat into about 20 small meatballs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Pour off any drippings from the skillet, then add the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic, red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add the pasta, broccolini and meatballs.
- Whisk the egg with the reserved cooking water in a small bowl, then add to the skillet and stir until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the pasta among bowls.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and drizzle with olive oil.