- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 corn tortillas, halved
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- Kosher salt
- 1 15 -ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 4 .25-ounce cans chopped green chiles
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (preferably reduced sodium)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the tortillas and cook, flipping a few times, until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Remove with tongs and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cayenne and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the pork and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, breaking up the meat, until browned, about 4 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chiles and corn.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Arrange half of the tortillas in the bottom of a 9-to-10-inch pie plate.
- Top with half of the meat mixture, then half of the cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas, meat and cheese.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake until the cheese melts, about 10 minutes.